Friday, July 18, 2014

Summer Through Running

Every spring my man tries out running, for about two weeks.
This year it stuck.  Early each morning as the sun is clearing the tops of the trees we slip out the door for an early run.  Every morning he gives me the running update:  day 67, day 71, day 79 and counting.

When we started this routine it was cold and dark at 5 a.m.  We layered on hats and pants, pulled our fingers into our sleeves and watched for slick spots where the night's dew may have frozen on the pavement.  

We run only 2-5 miles, depending on the day.  Its a quiet, often fast run with little time before our respective days must begin in earnest.  Rob wears his high tech ear phones, wireless.  He dons his sleek iPod holder (he's always had a thing for fanny packs!) I'm in my running uniform:  black tank, blue shorts circa high school track.

The mornings grew warmer and brighter, until the end of June when we rose at 5:00 to daylight bright and hot, and mornings so muggy it was hard to tell if we were sweating or if the moist air was just condensing on our skin. Back home we stretch on the porch, sweat wet back prints marking our place when we stand.  

These mornings the garden snails cover the road with slick trails of slime. They congregate in hundreds, and crunch under our feet when we are careless.  The mama in me toe steps around them, but the gardener in me cheers a bit at the sight of so many massacred by passing cars.  

Rob runs each day without fail (against the better judgement of many seasoned runners). He rolls sore muscles, stretches daily, and drinks more water than he's ever drunk. He is excited about salads for dinner.  He is adding miles, feeling good, looking fine, and did I mention he is fast?!  I haven't had a speed workout like these since high school (could be the shorts). 

Still high summer, but already the shift in sunlight is noticeable.  With prickly skin and deer flies hovering we watch the sunrise over the tops of neighbor's barns. Breathless and light on our toes we alert deer in the fields, and avoid escaped cattle in the road.  We wave to the farmers as they start their days, the only people we ever see on these early runs.  

This morning the air was cool, and dry.  It was a welcome change from the sticky humidity we've been wading through for the past few days.  Today's was the kind of air that leaves you feeling feverish while you run, sweat cooling fast on prickly hot skin.  Giving me goosebumps even as I sweat. 

This weekend Rob raced his first 5K since high school.  He rocked it.  Before the race he was so nervous he said he'd never do it again.  Afterward he was already planning for the next one.  I think he's hooked.  And it's pretty sweet.  

Thanks for running with me Babe.  

1 comment:

  1. Such beautiful imagery and so good to hear about positive change in your lives. Nate does the same thing, a short stint of running with me every year, maybe one day it will stick for him too. I bet those speed workouts will help your marathon time this fall.


I love hearing from you!