Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Homeschool Tuesday (on Thursday, oops): Crafting

Some days (particularly when I'm feeling ready to do something "academic" and on "task")--I put these in quotes because right now it feels a bit ridiculous to talk of academics and schedules for 7 and 5 year olds--the kids wake up and launch into some inspired art or craft activity that way-lays my plans, but is usually way more fun and probably more important in the scheme of things.

Here are a few of the more recent child led crafting forays:


 The kids drew these (I did the bird) on regular size paper, cut in half.  Then we used the minimize feature on our copier/printer to make them tiny (why are things so much cooler tiny?) We love these and will be using them to make a memory game for a friend's up-coming birthday.



Kid-made togas and wings.  Juniper is Athena as an eagle.  


Wylie's recycled car.  I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the next phase when it had a battery case, motor, and alligator clips attached.  The thing really drove--but only in circles!





Plenty of sewing, and needle felting.
  


I love all this crafting, especially when they initiate it all on their own.  Often it doesn't even turn into anything and is more about the process than anything (I can't tell you how many "bags" aka rectangles,  have been sewn on that machine). I try to keep it to myself, but I do really love when things actually get finished such as the chick above, or this winter wear for duck duck.

2 comments:

  1. These projects are really neat, I love the sewing and the electric car. Every so often I start to lean toward wanting to unschool, and just see where things go. I think at their ages, crafting is a perfectly good use of their minds. It requires trial and error, creativity, and critical thinking. All of these skills can and likely will be applied to other ventures later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..you have some crafty kids! I love that duck..so creative!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!