Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Grey. Finally.

I can't seem to find it in my back log of posts, but I'm pretty sure I've mentioned my inclination this time of winter, each year, to paint everything grey.  It may be the clean, quiet white world beyond our windows, (and its harsh contrast to the busy, cluttered space in which we live).  Whatever it is I find myself wishing for white and grey, maybe a bold accent or two, but otherwise clean, quiet, calm.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this desire.  
Well, this year I've managed a bit of it.  Below you see December's living room wall (tree and all) in "Orange Sherbert" a color I loved when I painted it 8 years ago, and loved for many years.  But not so much any more--at least in the winter.  With the eventual go-ahead from Rob, I think his final decree was "paint anything you want, as long as I don't have to see it happen" (a girl could have fun with permission like that!) I got to it.  In bits and pieces during his work day, while he was curling, or while sick children napped, or play mobile adventures dictated our day, the living room got painted.  Grey.  

There are a ridiculous number of grey options in the paint world, each with surprisingly different effects.  I sampled several in those $1.99 sample jars and found them either too dark, or too harsh--like cement.  
 The final color is Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter (recommended by a friend for its warmth--despite being grey).  It has a brown undertone, and looks a bit blue in some lights, nearly white in others.  I'm loving it.   
Yesterday Rob asked, "you're not going to paint the dining room are you?".  
"No, Honey".  (not yet anyway).  











1 comment:

  1. That looks great! A little bit of modern flare on a rustic home. I like it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!