Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

In no particular order:

Good:    This candle on our dining room table.

Its an  LED, but you would never guess.  We have another on the bookshelf (but really we've been moving from room to room with us.)
They flicker, are made of real bee's wax, run for something crazy like 400 hours, and create no polluting smoke.  My sister got a set of these first, and right after we finished making fun of them we sat down and ordered some ourselves.  We got them at Target online, not sure if they sell them anywhere else.












Good:    Activities that keep all three children happily occupied for a long time--like this one.



Pattern blocks, for hours (almost) of busy, constructive play by all ages.














Bad:  Aforementioned minivan , "Lois" whose heat decided to break on the coldest day of the year.
Good:  Same minivan, whose heat just as suddenly began working again, on the second coldest day of the year.  (Back on the Good list--for now).


Good:   These (used to be blank) canvases.

I got a small pile of these for cheap at Job Lots a couple of
years ago.  The kids have done these paintings over the last
year.  They have also re-used them several times, by just
painting over their old pictures.  Just the right size for hanging
with a thumbtack, or propping up on the bookshelf.





Good:    This kitchen concept.  My sister (same as above) sent me this link.  We're both loving it.  I'm trying to figure out ways to incorporate some of this natural system into my own kitchen.

Good:    If It Were Up To Me  from Cheryl Wheeler's, "Sylvia Hotel".  The kids enjoy the Potato Song from the same album. (Sorry I couldn't get the whole song for you--you can find it on YouTube with obnoxious videos).
Bad: That this song needs to exist.


Good:  Homemade hand-me-downs.  This hat, I made for Wylie 7 years ago, also worn by Juniper, and now Kale.   It also has a matching poncho--super cute, but not real practical for toddlers.

Kale 13 mos.-(last week)
Juniper 16 mos. Wylie 3 yrs. (4 years ago)

Wylie 16 mos. (6 years ago, hard to believe)



















Good:   My Sonicare Electric Toothbrush.  I usually think simple is better, but I also really dig great oral hygiene.  These are super for that.

Good:  Nettie pots.  I used to have one of these from The Green Store, but it broke several years ago.  Now I just use the tea kettle from my daughter's tea set (don't tell her).  It works great when trying to fight a sinus infection.

Bad:  Head colds that move from one family member to the next so slowly as to render you housebound for just about 14 consecutive days. In the winter.  With three young children.  And, require you to use said Nettie Pot to avoid a sinus infection.


Bad:  Stomach virus (anytime really) but especially when just having recovered from a head cold.

Good:  Cord wood.  



Good:  The man who cut and split it all (I did do a fair bit of the stacking).

Ugly:  Minus 12 degrees Fahrenheit on several different occasions in one week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!