Friday, May 6, 2011

On Running, Swimming, and Cycling (not so much)

I've been "training" for a local triathlon sprint.  I use quotes because actual training would imply that I've been swimming more than 30 minutes a week, or that I've been on my bike more than 3 times in the past two years (which I hadn't until this week).  My sisters (both marathoner/cyclists) and I have talked a lot about this kind of half-assed training, and what's behind it.  I think its two-fold.  I ran track in high school, but in college quit after the first year when I felt like the nerves were too much.  Running had become a chore instead of fun.   So, on one hand, even now I feel like as long as I don't take training too seriously then I can continue to feel relaxed and enjoy the exercise.

Also, if I don't train I don't have to expect much of myself.  I have an easy out for when I don't do very well.  Except really what kind of an out is that, "I didn't do well because I was too lazy to train properly"  Hmmn, not very righteous.  The other problem is, I won't really get to know how well I could have done.  My sister in WA posted about this same thing recently here.  I'm still not really sure how I feel about the whole thing.  I don't feel like I want competition and training to be forefront in my life right now (and clearly its not) but I also don't want to be someone who never tries her hardest for fear of failing.  That's not a good habit to get into, and its not a good model for my kids either.  But really I'm not even sure if it is worth all this processing.

It is what it is.  And right now its a triathlon in 7 days that I feel pretty unprepared for.

But, I am also stronger and more fit than I've been in years, learning to like cycling, and enjoying the feeling of moving fast--with no one attached to my body or whining beside me, even if it is only a couple times a week.  I guess that's not so bad.
Though I may feel differently next Saturday.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.  Does anyone else do this too?

1 comment:

  1. Well, you know I do this too, but I have to say I agree with you on the part about not trying or committing to anything. I really would love to be a good role model in this way. I think it is hard to figure out what I want, and what I feel others want from me. I think for so long I competed based on other's expectations, and that is what made it so stressful. I am slowly figuring out what I want for myself, and then to set out to achieve those goals. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what that is. I do have to say that playing indoor soccer has been a great outlet. I forgot how much I love soccer, and two nights a week for an hour is the perfect commitment for now.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!