Thursday, March 1, 2012

Homeschool Thursday: Put something in

Eight years and three kids into this gig, some days I still feel like I'm just beginning to figure it all out.  Each day is so full of challenges and changes, tears, laughter, thrills and tantrums.  Learning with my kids is an adventure I wouldn't trade for anything--and I'm so glad to have the opportunity to do it.

Lately I've been feeling like the very best homeschooling lesson is to show them that you're never too old to learn something new, and by being a model in searching out my own interests and taking on new challenges.

Leaving outside, paid work, to stay home with babies is a lesson in patience and requires a whole new perspective on time and productivity.  It took a while to adjust, but I got pretty darn good at it.  You know, celebrating each milestone as an accomplishment, reveling in their joy and delight, and letting go of all expectations and outcomes; because some days with little ones just getting dinner made can feel like you've really done something with your time.  And if you've brushed your teeth, managed to fold some laundry and negotiated a successful trip to the grocery store without loosing your cool or forgetting the T.P. you think you're the bomb (you are!).

But, Good News--as they get older it gets easier.  Most days I notice that not only are my children ridiculously cute and shockingly brilliant (its my blog and I can brag if I want to...)  they are also good company.  Not only that, but I'm finding I can actually get stuff done.  I can set a goal--and while it may take a while I can finish things.  Things that have nothing to do with household chores and childcare.  I started slow and practical with knitting.  Finishing a hat was a huge accomplishment.  A baby sweater was suddenly manageable, and then I was taking on adult sweaters.  Some time later I learned to sew, competed in my first triathlons, started to garden, and am psyched for my first year with bees.  Unexpectedly, out of necessity (chocolate chip cookies are a necessity) I learned how to bake gluten free.  Now, thanks to a some good food blogs (and some persistent eczema) I'm learning a few tricks about baking/cooking without grains. Who would've thunk it?

So while I will always find a place for math basics, legible handwriting, and a general understanding of world history, what I really hope our kids learn from our days together is that life is an adventure and you get out of it what you put in.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!