Thursday, September 27, 2012

Homeschool Thursday: Chores

I often wish I had more intention.  I tend to launch into things with too much impatience to give it the intention it deserves.  But, somehow this summer I was able to find a bit of clarity, and wisely incorporated a chore system during a time of the year when we weren't feeling over scheduled or adjusting to a new routine.  Without daily school work, without homeschool coop, or even our regular play dates to think about, I finally followed the inspiration from this family participation board over at Dig This Chick, and put together a system that is still working, after 3+ months of use (that's kind of a record around here).

The system is simple.  Each child has a circle, with wood rounds featuring age appropriate chores (small branch, chop saw, and sharpie are all I used, though bottle caps, flat glass beads, or mini photos would work too).  When they complete a chore it gets moved across the line.  The next morning I move them all back across the line to start again.  There's some reminding, and it helps that screen time is dependent on the completion of chores.   Every few weeks we switch up the chores so everything seems fair.  So far so good.

 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea. We may need one for Daddy here too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!