Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Morning Muffins--For Audrey

When she saw the pictures of the muffins in the last post my niece Audrey said, "Let's make them now".
So here you go Audrey, cook 'em up.


Gluten Free Morning Muffins:

Preheat oven to 425 F

Mix together:
2c milk
1/2 stick melted butter
1/2 c plain yogurt
2 eggs

Mix together in another bowl:
3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup white buckwheat flour
3/4 cup blue stone ground buckwheat
1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 cup of sugar, or some combination of sugar, honey or maple syrup (whichever you prefer)
1 tsp. Xanthan gum
2tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

combine dry with wet and mix well.
Add any combination of fruit and spices as available, approx 1/2 -1 cup fruit
Some of our favorites are:
shredded carrots with nutmeg and cinnamon and 1 tsp. lemon juice
banana with 1 tsp. vanilla (also add 1 tsp. baking powder to dry)
any kind of berries
raspberries with grated lemon zest
diced apple with cinnamon

This should make a dozen normal sized muffins.  Grease the muffin tin well and fill the cups nearly to the top.
Bake at 425 F for 15-20 min.

Notes:
The batter should be thin, but not soupy, just a little thicker than pancake batter.  You can change up the butter/milk/yogurt ratio pretty freely.  More butter will make them stay moist longer.  We can eat the entire dozen before noon so I tend to use more milk and less butter--If I'm saving some for later in the day I use more butter and less milk.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum thanks. It looks like I'll need to stock up on my gluten free flours. Right now, I'll I have is rice flour. I didn't know buckwheat was gluten free.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!