Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A cowl for you friends...(and you)

I've been wearing this cowl nearly everyday since I knit it up about a month ago (maybe I should wash it?).


I've received so many compliments on it that I realized ya'll would want to knit one up too.
I finished this in a weekend, making it the ideal holiday gift for your girlfriends--and guys too perhaps.  Anyone who can knit a stitch can whip out a few of these babies.
Make one for yourself while you're at it.

The Details (you know how I am about patterns, so bear with me): 

Cast On: 30 stitches, or enough to give you 6 inches according to your yarn and needle size.  Knit a gauge swatch if you're not sure.  

Knit in Garter stitch (back and forth knit stitching only) until the piece measures approximately 22 inches--you can test your length around your neck as you go. 

Bind off.

Here's the secret--don't worry its not at all complicated.  Using the same yarn and yarn needle sew together one end to the edge of the opposite side (as below).  This forms the nice triangle point, distinguishing it from other round cowls (and possibly identifying you as a cowgirl).  

Now put it on, and quick knit up another.  



You could change this up so many ways and have a different style for all your friends, or one for each day of the week!  Maybe try seed stitch, or ribbing, a variegated yarn would dress this up a bit, and stripes are always fun.  Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks. I've been wanting to knit a cowl, but nothing too beefy or crazy. Simple yet distinguished. This is perfect! Probably will have to wait til *after* the holidays though.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!